This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
I want to add some quick search .xmls in Firefox 62. How can i acheive this?
I tried to add some quick search .xmls in the Profile folder and restart Firefox however i cannot see the quick search engines in the Firefox quick search window.
I tried the steps listed in the following article however issue is still there: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1062399
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Kind Regards, Laurentiu
All Replies (2)
https://mycroftproject.com/ Mozilla created that "back in the day" and spun that project off to its own domain 3 or 4 years ago before Mozilla "broke" the search engine features as they had been from almost "day one" of Netscape, or from when Netscape created the Mozilla Foundation.
IMO, the search engine XML needs to be "installed" - dropping in a folder or even editing an existing search engine is something I could never get accomplished, and boy did I try.
I have taken to creating a new search engine and / or doing a copy'n'paste at the Mycroft Project pages with edits from my older pre-Firefox 34.5 search engines. And then installed the modified search engine from the MyCroft website. Pain in the ass, but that is the limit of my skills and it ain't important enough to me to come up with a less-hackish solution for the few new / changed search engines I might need.
Hell, since the new Search scheme doesn't have enough room to allow me to display properly the 31 search engines (without going into overflow where scrolling is needed to access the engines that fall-off the browser window) that I was using along with with the visual mods I did to "clean up" the new scheme to make it more usable. Hence, I am still using Firefox ESR 38 which was the "nail in the coffin" for me; use it for when I want to do a lot of searching and have all my preferred choices for search engines available in one window of one Profile of one version of Firefox. Yep, I have a "special" version of Firefox with a "special" Profile just for that one thing. And yes, I have more than just screw loose ....
Maybe another support contributor will have a simpler solution than my asinine "solution". I will wait with "bated breath" to see a better solution posted in this thread. But whatever someone comes up with won't IMO fix the main "breakage".