Why does Firefox keep swapping Google for Yahoo - I want Google maps on hand
I come back from an update and find Yahoo has taken over again. I may not notice until I want a quick map. Then I realise I am not in Google and have to go to some effort to find a map which may not be as good.
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 30.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:61.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/61.0
hello, this sounds like a problem possibly caused by adware on your pc.
- please go to the firefox menu ≡ > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc).
- also go to the windows control panel / programs and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there.
- finally, run a full scan of your system with different security tools like the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner, which are specialised in adware and browser hijackers.
This could be an issue caused by AdAware or Web Companion from Lavasoft.
You can look for a file named dsengine.js in these locations. You should only find channel-prefs.js in the "defaults\pref" location. Any file found here apart from channel-prefs.js is suspicious. You can check the content of the file in a text editor (use open with and do not double-click the file).
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\defaults\pref\
You can look for a file named dsengine.cfg in the main Firefox program folder.
- C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\
- C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\
Delete the dsengine.js and dsengine.cfg files when present.
Please run this after or if there is no above this needs to be run as you have a browser hijack going on as the default search engine is Google :
Please let us know if this solved your issue or if need further assistance.
Interim reply: Thank you both for such a quick response. I am old, disabled and not very good at this, so I could not face making sense of it last night - I only wrote on the spur of the moment, when I couldn't immediately call up a map to see where something was - I did not expect a useful answer. I will try now I am feeling more alert, but if I may, there may be more naive questions before I get there.