X
Tap here to go to the mobile version of the site.

Support Forum

After Mozilla autoupdate I'm getting the following error on google and virtually every other website: An error occurred during a connection to www.google.com. S

Posted

I've tried turning proxy off, resetting agents, uninstalling and reinstalling. Checking date and time settings, reducing security level.

I've tried turning proxy off, resetting agents, uninstalling and reinstalling. Checking date and time settings, reducing security level.

Chosen solution

thanks, so we have heard about this problem from avast/avg users whose security software is meddling with encrypted connections. firefox 61 introduced the better security protocol tls 1.3 & apparently avast can't cope with that yet.

please try to disable the scanning of https connections as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER#w_avast as a workaround.

Read this answer in context 1

Additional System Details

Application

  • User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/67.0.3396.71 Safari/537.36

More Information

WestEnd
  • Top 25 Contributor
61 solutions 5340 answers

When you uninstalled FF did you delete the Mozilla folder as well? And where are you downloading FF from? Also what Firewall and or A/V program are you using?

When you uninstalled FF did you delete the Mozilla folder as well? And where are you downloading FF from? Also what Firewall and or A/V program are you using?

Modified by WestEnd

philipp
  • Top 25 Contributor
  • Moderator
5281 solutions 23333 answers

hi, the exact error message got cut off unfortunately. could you paste it again including the error code? thanks...

hi, the exact error message got cut off unfortunately. could you paste it again including the error code? thanks...

Question owner

I'll paste it again when I'm on a PC again. It said SSL had received a response that exceeded maximum length. I have a screen shot of it I can paste tomorrow.

I'll paste it again when I'm on a PC again. It said SSL had received a response that exceeded maximum length. I have a screen shot of it I can paste tomorrow.

Question owner

I'm using Avast AV, and just the WIndows FW. I did not delete the FF folder. Thought I'd done a full uninstall but the reinstall recognized that the folder was there.

I'm using Avast AV, and just the WIndows FW. I did not delete the FF folder. Thought I'd done a full uninstall but the reinstall recognized that the folder was there.
philipp
  • Top 25 Contributor
  • Moderator
5281 solutions 23333 answers

Chosen Solution

thanks, so we have heard about this problem from avast/avg users whose security software is meddling with encrypted connections. firefox 61 introduced the better security protocol tls 1.3 & apparently avast can't cope with that yet.

please try to disable the scanning of https connections as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER#w_avast as a workaround.

thanks, so we have heard about this problem from avast/avg users whose security software is meddling with encrypted connections. firefox 61 introduced the better security protocol tls 1.3 & apparently avast can't cope with that yet. please try to disable the scanning of https connections as described in https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER#w_avast as a workaround.

Question owner

I think that solved it. Thanks!

I think that solved it. Thanks!