How do I stop a new page from automatically starting a audio track?
Every page with a video autostarts both the video and audio. Some pages just start playing audio. How do I shut this off? I want to never hear sound or start video without my active permission! Never autostart without my permission at that time!
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:57.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/57.0
There's a hidden setting Firefox to do this. You can enable it by doing the following:
- Type "about:config" in the address bar.
- Click the "I accept the risk" button.
- Type "media.autoplay.enabled" into the searchbox.
- Double-click on the first item that appears to change the value to true.
This setting occasionally prevents some website's video players from working correctly, so if you have problems in the future, try disabling this setting first.
Hope that helps!
If the audio is the main concern, and you don't mind video playing silently (bandwidth usage not a huge concern), an extension that mutes new tabs by default might fit your needs:
(I haven't tried it myself.)