Whenever I open Firefox, the first tab that pops up is an ad
The first tab that opens up directs to a site "www.mxttrf.com" then it redirects to various ad sites after a few seconds without me doing anything.
I already used AdwCleaner to remove files that were flagged as threat. Also, I have set my options to "Show a blank page" whenever Firefox starts. I already made sure that the desktop shortcut of Firefox that I click to open it has no extensions in its 'Target'.
Additional System Details
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.111.2 for Mozilla browsers
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft Lync
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Shockwave Flash 23.0 r0
- VLC media player Web Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0
Type about:preferences#general<enter> in the address bar.
There are two settings;
- When Firefox Starts
When the browser is started, what do you want to display? Many of us choose Show My Home Page.
- Home Page
When a new page is opened, what do you want to be displayed?
- Use Current Page. Use what ever page(s) are open at that time.
- Use Bookmark
- Restore To Default. about:home shows a Mozilla home page with tools.
You can use any of these that you wish;
about:home (Firefox default home page), about:newtab (shows the sites most visited), about:blank (a blank page),
or you can enter any webpage or about: page you want.
You may have ad / mal-ware. Further information can be found in the Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware article.
Run most or all of the listed malware scanners. Each works differently. If one program misses something, another may pick it up.