This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Why does a bookmark, once clicked on, appear only in the Bookmarks Sidebar?
Ever since a recent update, it seems impossible to click on a bookmark and have it appear in the main window.
All Replies (2)
Hi Fells, bookmarks should not open in the sidebar unless they are specifically designated for that. To check:
- If it's just one or a couple of bookmarks: right-click a bookmark, choose Properties, then look for a checkbox toward the lower left for opening in the sidebar.
- If you need to check many bookmarks: open the Library dialog (Ctrl+Shift+b or "Show All Bookmarks"), then click the More button at the bottom to show the full set of fields. You can arrow down that "Other Bookmarks" list watching the checkbox, and/or use search box at the upper right or the navigation pane on the left to find the bookmarks you want to check and arrow through those.
If the checkbox seems to have gotten turned on for a lot of bookmarks, there could be a little damage to your database, but hopefully that's not the problem.
Note that opening in the sidebar is the default for bookmarks that you create by clicking a button on a web page to bookmark this page. You can check the Properties of a bookmark via the right-click context menu in the sidebar (Ctrl+B; Cmd+B on Mac). In the Bookmarks Manager (Bookmarks > Show All Bookmarks) you can click the More button in the Details pane at the bottom right. Make sure "Load this bookmark in the sidebar" is not selected.
You can use the SQLite Manager extension to generate a list of bookmarks that open in the side bar.
- SQLite Manager: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/addon/sqlite-manager/
- Open Profile Directory -> places.sqlite -> Go
- Hit the "Execute SQL" tab
- Use a SELECT like this:
SELECT b.id AS "Bookmark ID", b.title AS "Title", f.url AS "Url", p.title AS "Folder", ia.content, aa.name AS "AnnoAttribute" FROM (moz_bookmarks AS b INNER JOIN moz_bookmarks AS p ON p.id = b.parent), moz_places AS f, moz_items_annos AS ia, moz_anno_attributes AS aa WHERE (b.fk = f.id) AND (b.id = ia.item_id) AND (ia.anno_attribute_id = aa.id) AND (aa.name LIKE 'bookmarkProperties/loadInSidebar') ORDER BY p.title ASC, b.title ASC