HELP! Firefox keeps killing my menu preferences!
In older versions of Firefox, each time the browser crashed (all the time), or if I closed it for some reason and then reopened it, my menu/add-on preferences would disappear and reset to the default.
Now with this new/latest version, it's continuing to happen, but this time, the icons disappear completely and the location window extends all the way to the right with only the horizontal 3-bar menu icon showing. No matter how many times I sign in and sync, it continues to happen. I am SO frustrated and tired of all the nonsense, I'm ready to trash it and try another browser.
And it was my understanding that syncing would also retain all your speed dial menus/URLs. Apparently, that wasn't the case because a hard-drive crash and reinstall of Windows last week showed me once that stuff goes, it's gone. Why is it not considered to be preferences that one can save into their profile by simply syncing??
Finally, is there ANY chance you guys are going to fix the compatibility issues with Flash?? SO tired of not being able to rely on this browser to allow me to watch movies or YouTube videos (which are now no longer playable in full-screen mode since it makes videos lag behind the sound).
And I have a 64-bit Windows 7 version on a Dell laptop.
Additional System Details
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft Lync
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Shockwave Flash 20.0 r0
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:44.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/44.0
Hi puscroakus, You seem to have a lot of problems with Firefox. No wonder you are getting fed up with trying to use it.
Flash is thankfully becoming less and less necessary in modern browsers including Firefox. By default YouTube no longer uses FlashPlayer to provide videos for Firefox. Set Firefox to use Flash as always ask. Try YouTube again see if it plays video without FlashPlayer, see
I suppose your major concern should be the frequent crashes
the browser crashed (all the time) ... it's continuing to happen
Is this only happening when FlashPlayer is in use or is it happening at other times ? We will need to look into that but lets start with your troubleshooting information.
Note Firefox should not reset your preferences or remove addons after a crash. May be you keep using the Refresh option
Are you doing that ?
As regards Sync you mention you
have a 64-bit Windows 7 version on a Dell laptop.
Note Sync is intended to Synchronise with another of your computers (or other device such as an Android phone). What else do you use? A second laptop?
Try to comment on the questions I asked.
This seems to be the first question you have asked so in a separate reply please paste in your troubleshooting page information by following this procedure:
To find the correct solution to your problem, we need some more non-personal information from you. Please do the following:
- Use ONE of these methods to open the Firefox Troubleshooting Information page:
- Click the menu button , click on help and select Troubleshooting Information.
- Type about:support into the Firefox address bar and press the enter key.
- At the top of the Troubleshooting Information page that comes up, you should see a button that says "Copy text to clipboard". Click it.
- Now, go back to your forum post, right-click in the reply box and select Paste from the context menu (or else click inside the reply box and press the Ctrl+V keys) to paste all the information you copied into the forum post.
If you need further information about the Troubleshooting information page, please read the article Use the Troubleshooting Information page to help fix Firefox issues.
Thanks in advance for your help!