Beginning just today, when I try to open Firefox, I get the message: Firefox is already running, but is not responding. The old Firefox process must be closed to open a new window. with the option to Close Firefox or cancel. When I click close firefox, I get a message: Your Firefox profile cannot be loaded. It may be missing or inaccessible. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling, restarting my machine. I'm at a loss. I have no idea why this is happening and can't seem to fix it! Help!!!
Additional System Details
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/46.0.2486.0 Safari/537.36 Edge/13.10586
This issue can be caused by a problem with the profiles.ini file or with the permissions (owner) of involved folders.
You can use one of these to make Firefox create a new default profile or recover an existing profile:
- Delete the profiles.ini file to make Firefox create a new (default) profile
- Use the Profile Manager to create a new profile
If you still have an existing profile then click "Choose Folder" in the Profile Manager and browse to the location of a lost profile to recover this profile
You should find the profiles.ini file in this hidden location:
- Windows: %AppData%\Mozilla\Firefox\
- Mac: *~/Library/Application Support/Firefox/
- Linux: *~/.mozilla/firefox/
If clearing the profiles.ini file isn't working then also check the location of the cache files.
- Windows: *C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile>\
- Mac: *~/Library/Caches/Firefox/Profiles/
You can also try to rename/delete the Mozilla\Firefox\ folder in both above mentioned locations (main, cache).
"AppData" (XP: Application Data; Mac: ~/Library; Linux: ~/.mozilla) is a hidden folder.