How can I stop firefox from asking to choose a default search engine?
Every now and then when I search for something in the search bar instead of searching what I typed in it opens the search options page in a new tab. It's kind of annoying. Any way to stop this?
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.12
- A plugin to detect whether the Adobe Application Manager is installed on this machine.
- Version 188.8.131.52
- Google Update
- Happy Cloud Web Plugin
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.40.2 for Mozilla browsers
- My.com Games Detector Plug-in
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 19.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 184.108.40.206
- Unity Player 5.0.3f2
- Plugin for Wacom tablets.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/41.0
Sounds like a problem I have with the search bar from time to time. Often when the panel drops down, the mouse pointer is over some part of it. If you move the mouse, Firefox interprets that as selecting what you want to happen when you press Enter. Bumping the mouse may be all it takes to trigger this feature, using a different search site or opening the settings page, depending on where the pointer is.
I don't know of any workaround for this.