How to set local Google as the default search engine, not google.com
I live in Ireland and want the search in the toolbar to use Google.ie and not Google.com. I checked other search engines in the addons and .ie is not there, neither is .co.uk. Before the last update the search defaulted to Google.ie but not any more.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.15
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_37 for Mozilla browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.0; WOW64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
Change in Firefox 40 to 'protect' the default search engines from being overridden by Malware. I lost 2 custom Google search engines where the "ShortName" was the same as the default Google search engine. I was able to edit the "ShortName" in the google.xml files in the /searchplugins/ folder in my Profile folder to get them working again.
Or you can just install a new search plugin for Ireland specific searches. http://mycroftproject.com/search-engines.html?name=Google+IE Scroll down to 11. Major Search Engines Three to choose from. The first one shown - by Mycroft Project - installed fine for me just now.