Can't navigate by keying in URL
With the most recent update I not cannot navigate by keying in a URL, only by using a search engine. The smart suggestions (or whatever they're called) still appear in a drop down, but selecting one of them doesn't work. Correct URL appears, but does not redirect. Issue is specific to Firefox; Chrome and IE still work normally on the same computer. I refreshed Firefox, but it still doesn't work. Anyone got any ideas about what else to try?
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.11
- Creative Cloud Desktop Plugin.v_3_0_0_0
- Google Update
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.55.2 for Mozilla browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 22.214.171.124
- Unity Player 4.3.7f1
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Please do not comment in bug reports. Bug 1180419 - After upgrading to Firefox 39, could not launch URL from Address bar. Enter key won't work. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1180419
Hi Jenniffer, Sorry the URL bar has broken
So Firefox's search bar still works. I had not thought of that option, but there is a current bug (1180119) that may be affecting you. It is seen when there are certain corruptions to the bookmarks database and affects users that have used keywords in their bookmarks.
First of all try the addon places.sqlite,because in some insatnces that may fix the corruption and so preserve your History
The recommended solution at present is to rename the database. That results in the loss of History, which in turn impacts on features like the location bar autocomplete, and the Newtab Tiles but does fix the URL bar
- See http://kb.mozillazine.org/Locked_or_damaged_places.sqlite#Rebuild_Places_database
- Or Steps explained in this oddly named help article
Fix "The bookmarks and history system will not be functional" error message_solution-2-create-a-new-places-database
- More detail in Firefox 39 address bar not working /questions/1070999#answer-750702 including mention of a potential fix suitable only for advanced users.