Why, when firefox updates, do I loose all my corrections and additions to the spellchecker dictionary?
As above, without fail, when Firefox updates I loose all the additions I have made to the spellchecker dictionary. This has been happening for several years now!
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 15.7.20033
- CANON iMAGE GATEWAY Mycamera Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 18.0 r0
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
I understand it is crashing, please can you provide the crash reports for further analyzing.
As for the dictionary, the file that the words are stored in are mentions here: *https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-do-i-use-firefox-spell-checker#w...
Make a copy of that file every once in a while to have a backup work around until we can figure out what is happening.
We're sorry to hear that Firefox is crashing. In order to assist you better, please follow the steps below to provide us crash IDs to help us learn more about your crash.
- Enter about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and press Enter. A Submitted Crash Reports list will appear, similar to the one shown below.
- Copy the 5 most recent Report IDs that start with bp- and then go back to your forum question and paste those IDs into the "Post a Reply" box.
Note: If a recent Report ID does not start with bp- click on it to submit the report.
(Please don't take a screenshot of your crashes, just copy and paste the IDs. The below image is just an example of what your Firefox screen should look like.)
Thank you for your help!
More information and further troubleshooting steps can be found in the Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes article.
Did you reset/refresh Firefox and have created a new profile?
When you reset/refresh Firefox then a new profile is created and some personal data (bookmarks, history, cookies, passwords, form data) is automatically imported. The current profile folder will be moved to an "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop. Installed extensions and other customizations (toolbars, prefs) that you have made are lost and need to be redone.
If you have the "Old Firefox Data" folder on the desktop then you can look for the persdict.dat file and copy this file to the current profile folder.
You can use this button to go to the current Firefox profile folder:
- Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder (Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder)