This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
i keep getting a new window from this web sitehttp://www.zw-n.com/m11.php?
i have two diffrent windows opening up telling me of a virus with a phone number to call 1-877-469-2757 it started after downloading mozilla thunderbird. i have since deleted thunderbird to try to get rid of it. ever 10 minutes i get the new window telling me to call that number. please help.
All Replies (1)
Maybe you got some bundleware. Here's my suggested procedure for tracking down and cleaning up bad add-ons, which hopefully will also help for external agents that can generate browser pop-ups, if that's what you have. I know it seems long, but it's not that bad.
(1) Open the Windows Control Panel, Uninstall a Program. After the list loads, click the "Installed on" column heading to group the infections, I mean, additions, by date. This can help in smoking out undisclosed bundle items that snuck in with some software you agreed to install. Take out as much trash as possible here.
(2) Open Firefox's Add-ons page using either:
- "3-bar" menu button (or Tools menu) > Add-ons
- in the Windows "Run" dialog, type or paste
In the left column, click Plugins. Set nonessential and unrecognized plugins to "Never Activate".
In the left column, click Extensions. Then, if in doubt, disable (or Remove, if possible) unrecognized and unwanted extensions.
Often a link will appear above at least one disabled extension to restart Firefox. You can complete your work on the tab and click one of the links as the last step.
(3) You can search for remaining issues with the scanning/cleaning tools listed in our support article: Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware. These on-demand scanners are free and take considerable time to run. If they finish quickly and especially if they require payment, you may have a serious infection. I suggest the specialized forums listed in the article in that case.