Firefox keeps crashing even in safemode and with new profile.
Firefox started crashing every minute or so after a recent Windows update (coincidence). After trying the following procedures (see below), creating a new profile solves the problem until I select "Automatically add" on this page, so the problem must be related to running scripts. (it also means I can't automatically add my troubleshooting information)
These are the procedures I attempted after the problem started which did NOT fix the problem: Uninstalled most recent Windows updates. Disabled Networxs and Spybot. Ran Firefox in safe mode. Run full virus scan (Malwarebytes). Reinstalled Firefox. System restore to before most recent Windows updates. System restore to last week (problem only started yesterday). Re-reinstalled Firefox. (note: my drivers are all up to date) Created a new profile which this allows me to browse without crashing until (as far as I can tell) Firefox attempts to run certain scripts. In the old profile Firefox crashes within two minutes even if I do nothing except open the browser and leave it alone.
Given that the problem persisted even in safe mode the problem must not be add-on related. And since Firefox still crashes with a new profile is must not be a configuration conflict. But it also pesists after a system restore and being reinstalled, so it must be something Firefox uses outside of the profile files that isn't an add on and isn't overwritten.
I don't want to do a complete clean install because that would mean losing my history, passwords, customized add-ons (user dictionary, AdBlock scripts, NoScript allow/block list, etc.), bookmarks (I realise I can recover those), and custom about:config lines. It was working fine two days ago so it has to be something that auto-updates in the background because I have all updates (Firefox, Windows, etc.) set to manual exactly so I can avoid nasty surprises like this one.
Any help in resolving this issue so I don't have to start again from scratch and lose literally years of customization would be greatly appreciated.
Additional System Details
- Version 184.108.40.206
- Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
- Google Update
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.10
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.25.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Questrade IQ Edge detector plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/28.0
Note that safe mode does not disable plugins (only add-ons). The issue here is most likely a corrupt plugin. It looks like you have a lot of plugins installed, including some known to be very problematic. Specifically these ones:
NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy Questrade IQ Edge detector plugin Citrix Online App Detector Plugin Coupons, Inc. Coupon Printer Plugin NPWLPG
In order to assist you better, please follow the steps below to provide us crash IDs to help us learn more about your crash.
- Enter about:crashes in the Firefox address bar and press Enter. A Submitted Crash Reports list will appear, similar to the one shown below.
- Copy the 5 most recent Report IDs that start with bp- and then go back to your forum question and paste those IDs into the "Post a Reply" box.
Note: If a recent Report ID does not start with bp- click on it to submit the report.
(Please don't take a screenshot of your crashes, just copy and paste the IDs. The below image is just an example of what your Firefox screen should look like.)
Thank you for your help!
More information and further troubleshooting steps can be found in the Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes article.