This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
My home page won't load
My home page is my companies home page which requires authentication. Before the latest update I had no problems, but now it won't let me log in. I enter the credentials and hit OK and the box just keeps coming back up. I can log in via Safari with no problem so it appears that it's something in the security settings but I can't figure out what. I've tried a number of fixes that I've seen for similar issues, but none seam to work.
As an aside... it is way too difficult to ask a question through Mozilla Support!
All Replies (6)
A short time ago, several web protocols, and security encodings were disabled / discontinued. Your site may still be using them.
I've called the big guys to help you. Good luck.
Hi mikeljcarr, In order to get an idea of what might be causing this, it may be a good start to talk to the administrator who develops the page.
Second, if you can, click on the lock in the url bar of this webpage. The Security tab will give you information about any errors on the page.
Third, another hint will be in the Network Developer Tool built into Firefox. Tools > Web Developer > Toggle Tools
It's not really possible to talk to the administrator who developed the page. This is a huge international company; I wouldn't have access to the administrator.
Clicked the lock and there are no errors.
I don't see anything in the tools section that would suggest a problem.
again, works fine with Safari just not with Firefox.
The Refresh feature (called "Reset" in older Firefox versions) can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, and other essential information.
Note: When you use this feature, you will lose any extensions, toolbar customizations, and some preferences. See the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article for more information.
To Refresh Firefox:
- Open the Troubleshooting Information page using one of these methods:
- Click the menu button , click help and select Troubleshooting Information. A new tab containing your troubleshooting information should open.
- If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.
- At the top right corner of the page, you should see a button that says "Refresh Firefox" ("Reset Firefox" in older Firefox versions). Click on it.
- Firefox will close. After the refresh process is completed, Firefox will show a window with the information that is imported.
- Click Finish and Firefox will reopen.
Did this fix the problem? Please report back to us!
Still doesn't work. I enter the user name and password and hit ok and it just pops back up each time I hit OK. It doesn't give any kind of error or message; just keeps reopening the authentication box. Until I finally hit cancel and then it says "401 unauthorized"
This issue can be caused by corrupted cookies or cookies that are blocked.
- check the permissions on the about:permissions page and in "Tools > Page Info > Permissions"
Clear the cache and remove cookies only from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
- Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:
- Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > "Use custom settings for history" > Cookies: "Show Cookies"