Unable to update, unable to uninstall current mozilla, mac
I am currently running an out of date version of firefox (15.0). Its been out of date for a very long time, and is now starting to cause quite a few problems, such as incompatibility with my gmail account.
Whenever I get the box that says that it is searching for updates, it just searches and searches and never comes up with anything.
I have already done this : https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/update-firefox-latest-version
I have also already tried to uninstall firefox by dragging it from Finder to trash, but there is still a firefox icon on the Dock.
I have OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2
Additional System Details
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- Version 220.127.116.11
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Displays Java applet content, or a placeholder if Java is not installed.
- Coupons Inc., Coupon Printer
- The Google Earth Plugin allows you to view 3D imagery and terrain in your web browser.
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- Adobe® Acrobat® Plug-in for Web Browsers, Version 11.0.02
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0
Go to www.getfirefox.com. Download the latest version. Install it. It will ask if you want to replace or keep the old version, choose replace.
I've already done that. I have been on that page. Clicked down load and I've hit replace.
To remove an icon from the dock, just drag it off and drop it.
If there are problems with updating or with the permissions then best is to download the full version and trash the currently installed version to do a clean install of the new version.
Download a new copy of the Firefox application and save the disk image file to the desktop
- Firefox 35.0.1: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/all/
- Trash the current Firefox application (open the Applications folder in the Finder and drag the Firefox application to the Trash) to do a clean (re)install
- Install the new version that you have downloaded
Your personal data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox profile folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data when you uninstall and (re)install or update Firefox.