How do I turn the new tab page on?
I accidentally turned this off without meaning to, so i was wondering how to reverse it. Also, whenever I open a new tab, the page that comes up is a search site that I don't want. I would like for the new tab to be google.com.
Additional System Details
- Google Update
- Shockwave Flash 15.0 r0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.8
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Facebook Video Calling Plugin
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 126.96.36.199
- Winamp Application Detector
- Roblox Launcher Plugin
- Yahoo Application State Plugin version 188.8.131.52
- Unity Player 3.4.0f5
- Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) plug-in for Mozilla browsers
- DRM Netscape Network Object
- Npdsplay dll
- DRM Store Netscape Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
You can set the browser.newtab.url pref on the about:config page to your preferred new tab page.
See also this article about the New Tab page (about:newtab):
Thanks! By turning off the "new tab page", did I possibly jeopardize my privacy/documents/accounts in anyway?
And by setting that browser.newtab.url, am I turning the "new tab page" back on?
This is just a toolbar button to open a specific page when you click this new tab button just like the Home button to open the home page does and shouldn't effect other things.
What is the current value of the browser.newtab.url pref?
You can set this pref to any page to make that page open if you click the new tab plus button on the Tab bar. For Google you can use https://ww.google.com
Note that there is also a (faint) 3x3 grid icon in the top right corner of the default about:newtab page to disable and enable this new tab page.
Modified by cor-el