Is it possible to Sync to a new computer when Windows Easy File Transfer won't work - followup
This is to answer cor-el who emailed me and gave me links to transfer the bookmark files from the old computer (XP) to the new computer (Win 8).
The problem is that I can't even get to "trouble shooting" in the Firefox menu. There is some file corrupt before I'm even able to get that far.
We found his old bookmark files on the hard drive, but eventually, on the old computer, the correct bookmarks loaded in Firefox only way deep in the bookmark menu so I had to drag them onto the toolbar individually and finally the new computer synced up with the correct bookmarks.
I would love to find the files for the bookmarks but I've looked and only found the old bookmark files (even looked where it said to look in "help"). In any case, please don't send me another link unless it solves my problem; I've worked on computers since 1984 and I know when the computer freezes up (and it does when I go to "help" and then "trouble shooting"—when I click "trouble shooting" is when everything stops.
Additional System Details
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.11
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Google Update
- Citrix Online App Detector Plugin
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.10
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- ActiveTouch General Plugin Container Version 105
- Adobe Shockwave for Director Netscape plug-in, version 188.8.131.52
- NVIDIA 3D Vision plugin for Mozilla browsers
- NVIDIA 3D Vision Streaming plugin for Mozilla browsers
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 10.9.2 for Mozilla browsers
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/31.0
Firefox automatically creates backups of your bookmarks, which can be helpful if your bookmarks are lost or missing. To recover them, follow the instructions below.
- Use one of these methods to open the Bookmarks Library window:
- Firefox 29 and above: Click the Bookmarks button and select Show All Bookmarks.
- Previous Firefox versions: Click the Firefox button and click on Bookmarks. (If you don't have a Firefox button, click the Bookmarks button or Bookmarks menu item and select Show All Bookmarks.)
- At the top of the Library window, click on Import and Backup and select Restore.
- Click the date of the bookmark backup you want to recover.
- In the new window that appears, click OK.
- Your bookmarks from the selected date should now be restored.
For more information, see the Restore bookmarks from backup or move them to another computer article. For other solutions, see the Recover lost or missing Bookmarks article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
Locking duplicate thread. Please continue in your original thread.