Am using Firefox 5.0.1, any new tabs open with a search engine for imvu and when I go to about:config there is no entry for browser.newtab.url that I can modify
I am using Firefox 18.104.22.16805 with Windows 7 Home Premium Service pack1. My new tabs in Firefox open with a search engine for imvu rather than google as I would prefer. I can't find an answer to my problem so far because when I try the recommended use of about:config and finding browser.newtab.url; it is not listed. Is this version of firefox to old to have that, or is it just missing? What can I do to get my new tabs to open with a Google search engine. This is on my 80 year old father's computer so he is not likely to upgrade browsers as I would on my home computer. Thank you for any help with this.
Additional System Details
- WordCaptureX component for single click dictionary
- Toolbar Plugin
- The Hulu Desktop Plugin allows Hulu.com to integrate with the Hulu Desktop application.
- Roblox Launcher Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 13.0 r0
- MindSpark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows
- Windows Activation Technologies Plugin for Mozilla
- Bing Bar
- WildTangent Games App V2 Presence Detector
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.02
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:5.0.1) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/5.0.1
The new tab page (about:newtab) wasn't introduced until a later version of Firefox (iirc, Firefox 10) , which is why that pref can't be found.
Sounds like your father picked up some Malware. Maybe this is what you're dealing with. http://www.shouldiremoveit.com/IMVU-Inc-Toolbar-34367-program.aspx
Also, I see a number of Plugins listed to bee concerned about. Toolbar Plugin MindSpark Toolbar Platform Plugin Stub for 32-bit Windows WildTangent Games App V2 Presence Detector
Also make sure you update his browser, using such an old version of Firefox is guaranteeing him a poor online experience and he WILL get infected with it.