This thread was archived. Please ask a new question if you need help.
Firefox continues to crash on startup. Cannot fix!
After starting firefox, 5 to 10 seconds in it will just spontaneously close. I have uninstalled and reinstalled firefox more times than I care to admit. (In fact, I have completely deleted the entire appdata local mozilla folder before installing) I have started in safe mode, still crashes. I have uninstalled and reinstalled flash, java, and several other things. Still crashes. There is no crash report. When I go to about:crashes, it has nothing. (I need to go there quickly, because after all, it crashes!)
I've read dozens of similar articles, and have carefully tried the directions of every imaginable response, and still it crashes. Resets, reinstalls, disabling addon, safe mode, everything. No other browsers on my system (windows 7) is giving me any problems whatsoever.
Please, tell me how I can use it without crashing, and please please please release a fix!
All Replies (5)
It sounds like the problem is in the profile folder. If you can, the quick way to fix that is to reset Firefox. Instructions are here - Reset Firefox -fix most problems. If Firefox crashes on startup for a 3rd time you should get a dialog with an option to reset. If you see that, click reset.
It could be that because Firefox stays open for a short time it's not triggering this dialog and there isn't enough time to do a reset manually. In that case, you'd have to create a new profile manually but that doesn't migrate all of your data (that's another manual process). You can learn more about that here - Profile Manager - Create, remove or switch Firefox profiles
Let me know how it goes, Michael
I tried the reset feature many times, no good. 3rd, 10th, 50th time crashing, there is never any dialogs that pop up, as I indicated there is no crash report. I have created a new profile a couple of times as well, and it continues to crash.
I'm completely not concerned with migrating any data. In response to this bug, I've completely deleting everything on my machine in any way related to either the word "mozilla" or "firefox" before trying to re-install, so I'm sure all my data is long gone.
Do you see any crash reports in your %APPDATA% folder?
- Press the following shortcut to get a Run window: [Windows] + [R]. This should bring up a window that contains a text field.
- In that text field, enter %APPDATA% and press Enter. An explorer window should open.
- From that explorer window, double-click on the Mozilla folder, then double-click on Firefox and then on Crash reports. Double-click on submitted.
- Now, you should see a list of files that contain reports. Go to View > Arrange Icons by > Modified to get the most recent files at the top of the window.
- Open the most recent 5 files with a text editor and copy the IDs.
- Paste each ID with bp- into the reply window on the forums.
There are no crash reports. It never generates a crash report.