Where to find and manage downloaded files in Firefox
Your Downloads panel and Library keep track of files you download while using Firefox. Learn how to manage your files and configure your download settings.
Table of Contents
How do I access my downloads?
You can access your downloads easily by clicking on the Downloads button (the down arrow on your toolbar). The arrow will appear green blue blue to let you know that there are downloaded files that you haven't viewed.
- During a download, the Downloads button changes into a timer that shows your download's progress. The timer changes back into an arrow when your download is complete.
- Click on the Downloads button to open the Downloads panel. The Downloads panel displays your three most recently downloaded files, along with its size, source and download time:
- To see all of your downloads, go to the Library by clicking on at the bottom of the Downloads panel.
- The Library displays information for all of your downloaded files, unless you've cleared them from your history.
How can I manage my downloaded files?
You can manage your files directly in the Downloads panel or in your library. Options will appear to the right of each file during each stage of the download.
- Pause: You can pause any downloads currently in progress by right-clickingpressing Ctrl and clicking on the file and selecting . When you want to continue downloading the file, right-clickpress Ctrl and click the file entry and select .
- Cancel : If you no longer need to download a file, click the X button at the right of the file entry. This button turns into a refresh symbol; click it again to restart your download.
- Open the file: When a download has finished, you can click on the entry directly to open the file.
- Open Containing Folder : Once a file has finished downloading, the icon to the right of the file entry becomes a folder. Click the folder icon to open the folder that contains that file. To set the folder where your downloads go, see Startup, home page, tabs, and download settings.Show In Finder : Once a file has finished downloading, the icon to the right of the file entry becomes a magnifying glass. Click the magnifying glass icon to show that file in the Finder. To set the folder where your downloads go, see Startup, home page, tabs, and download settings.
- Go to Download Page: Right-clickPress Ctrl and click on the file to bring up the menu. Choose this option to visit the webpage where the file came from.
- Remove the file's entry: If you do not wish to keep a record of a particular download, simply right-clickpress Ctrl and click the file entry, then select . This will remove the entry from the list but will not delete the file itself.
- Retry a Download : If for any reason a file does not finish downloading, click the button to the right of the entry - a refresh symbol - to retry.
- Clear Downloads: Click the button at the top of the Library window to clear the entire history of downloaded items. This will not delete the downloaded files.
Change where downloads are saved
You can change the folder where files are saved in the Firefox optionspreferences. For more information, see Startup, home page, tabs, and download settings.