View PDF files in Firefox
- Revision id: 18354
- Creator: Thomas
- Comment: No option in Linux (German preferences page: http://img7.imagebanana.com/img/eajr324y/BildschirmfotoVoreinstellungen.png)
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: mluna
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: mluna
A PDF reader plugin can be used to display PDF file inside the Firefox browser window. If there is a problem with the plugin, Firefox may try to download the PDF file instead of opening it. This article helps you to open PDF files within Firefox.
Some PDF readers plugin are:
Table of Contents
Only the first page is visible (Mac 10.5 and below)
If PDF documents open within Firefox but only the first page is viewable, make sure that the QuickTime plugin isn't set to handle PDF content:
- From the menu, choose .
- From the menu, choose .
- Click the Plug-In tab and click .
- In the list of MIME types, click the triangle next to "Images - Still image files".
- If "PDF Image" is checked, click the check box to clear it.
If you can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the next following instructions.
Check Firefox settings
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel.
- Find Adobe Acrobat Document (if you're using Adobe Reader) or PDF files (for other PDF readers) in the list and click on it to select it.
- Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select Use PDF reader name (in Firefox).
- If Use PDF reader name (in Firefox) is not listed as an Option, see Reset download actions below and then repeat this set of instructions.
- Close the about:preferences page. Any changes you've made will automatically be saved.
If you still can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the following instructions.
Reset download actions
Open your profile folder:
Click the menu button , click and select .From the The Troubleshooting Information tab will open. menu, choose .
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open. .
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
- Delete the mimetypes.rdf file.
Check Application settings
If the PDF reader plugin comes bundled with a reader application, check the application plugin setting if there is some.
- Adobe Reader:
- Open Adobe Reader.
- Once in Adobe Reader, click the menu in the menu bar, and then click The Preferences window will open.
- In the Categories section, click on Internet.
- Make sure the first check box, Display PDF in browser, is checked.
- Click to dismiss the Preferences window, and then close Adobe Reader.
If you still can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the next following instructions.
Re-initialize the plugins database
Follow the instructions in the Re-initializing the plugins database section of the Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems article.
This will force Firefox to rebuild its plugin database. If you still can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the next following instructions.
Re-install the application
If the PDF reader plugin comes bundled with a reader application and the above troubleshooting methods for Firefox did not work, uninstall and re-install the application.