View PDF files in Firefox
- Revision id: 131273
- Creator: AliceWyman
- Comment: updated article, removed outdated content
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: AliceWyman
- Is approved? No
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: No
To display PDF files inside the Firefox browser window, you can use the built-in PDF Viewer or a PDF reader plugin. This article covers both methods and how to fix the common issues you might encounter.
Table of Contents
- 1 Using the built-in PDF Viewer
- 2 Using a PDF reader plugin
Using the built-in PDF Viewer
Firefox includes a built-in PDF viewer that allows you to view almost all PDF files found on the web without a plugin. The built-in PDF viewer is enabled by default.
PDF Viewer toolbar functions
- View document thumbnails or outline - The slider button on the far left will open a sidebar with thumbnails of the document's pages. Some documents will also have an outline view available. These make it easy to navigate through a long document.
- Page up and down or skip directly to a page - You can use the up and down arrows to page through a document or enter the number of the page you want to go to.
- Change the size of the document - Use the + and - buttons to zoom in and out or choose a zoom setting from the dropdown menu.
- Fullscreen or Presentation mode - Click the fullscreen button to allow the PDF file to take over your entire screen. Press ESC to exit fullscreen mode.
- Print - Click the Printer button to open the print setup dialog.
- Download - Click the Download button to save the PDF file to your computer or to open it with a PDF reader program.
- Copy current view - Right-clickHold down the control key while you click
the current view button to open the current view in another tab or window.
PDF Viewer keyboard shortcuts
|Next page||N or K or →|
|Previous page||P or J or ←|
|Zoom in||Ctrl + +command + +|
|Zoom out||Ctrl + -command + -|
|Automatic Zoom||Ctrl + 0command + 0|
|Rotate the document clockwise||R|
|Rotate counterclockwise||Shift + R|
Troubleshoot problems with the PDF viewer
Some PDF files don't render well or are blank
With certain types of PDF files, the PDF Viewer may have problems displaying fonts, colors or the whole document. To view these files:
- Click the download button on the right side of the document header in order to open it with the default PDF program on your computer.
Cannot open any PDF files
- Click the menu button , click and select .
- Select each blocking extension and click close to it.
For more information, see Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems.
Using a PDF reader plugin
If you'd rather not use the built-in PDF Viewer, you can use a PDF reader plugin like Adobe Reader, Nitro PDF Reader or Sumatra PDFAdobe Reader, MozPlugger, or KParts pluginSchubert|it PDF Browser Plugin on Mac OS X.
To change from using the built-in PDF viewer to your PDF reader plugin:
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- Select the panel.
- Find Portable Document Format (PDF) in the list and click on it to select it.
- Click on the drop-down arrow in the Action column for the above entry and select Use PDF reader name (in Firefox).
For more information, see How to disable the built-in PDF viewer and use another viewer.
If PDF files are not displayed in Firefox, try these solutions
Check Application settings
If the PDF reader plugin comes bundled with an application, check the application preferences, to see if there is an Internet setting to to enable the plugin or to display PDF files in the browser.
Enable the PDF plugin in Firefox
Your PDF plugin may be disabled in Firefox. To enable it:
- Click the menu button , click and select .
- Select your PDF plugin.
- Select in its drop-down menu.
Reset download actions
Open your profile folder:
Click the menu button , click and select .From the The Troubleshooting Information tab will open. menu, choose .
Note: If you are unable to open or use Firefox, follow the instructions in Finding your profile without opening Firefox.
- Under the Application Basics section, click on A window will open that contains your profile folder.Your profile folder will open. .
Click the menu button and then click ExitQuit .
Click the Firefox menu , then click .Click the Firefox menu at the top of the screen, then click .Click the Firefox menu , then click .
- Delete the mimetypes.rdf file.
If you still can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the next following instructions.
Re-initialize the plugins database
Follow the instructions in Re-initializing the plugins database.
This will force Firefox to rebuild its plugin database. If you still can't view a PDF in Firefox, continue with the next following instructions.
Re-install the application
If the PDF reader plugin comes bundled with a reader application and the above troubleshooting methods for Firefox did not work, uninstall and re-install the application.