Using Tabs on Firefox for Android
Firefox for Android lets you easily create and manage multiple tabs. This article will show you how it's done.
Table of Contents
- 1 Where are my tabs?
- 2 How do I open a tab?
- 3 How do I share my tabs?
- 4 How do I close tabs?
- 5 View and reopen previously closed tabs
Where are my tabs?
To view your tabs in Firefox for Android:
- The numeric tab icon on the upper right corner of your screen shows you how many tabs you have open. Tap on it to view all your open tabs.
- Firefox displays your open tabs as thumbnails (for tablets, this list will be on top for portrait and on the left side for landscape). Visit any tab by tapping on it.
- To close a tab, tap on the next to it.
"Switch to tab" using search
Tap the title bar and start entering text. If you type something that matches one of your open tabs, Firefox will display the "Switch to tab" option in the auto-suggestions. Tapping "Switch to tab" will take you to your existing tab instead of opening a new tab.
How do I open a tab?
Open a blank tab
- Tap the tab icon to display the panels.
- Tap the
- The new tab will load the Awesome Screen and a list of your Top Sites, Bookmarks and History. You can choose from these home screen options or type in a new search or URL.
Open a link in a new tab
- To open a link in a new tab, do a long-tap on the link to open the contextual menu.
- On the contextual menu, tap
- To switch to your new tab, view your tabs and tap on its thumbnail.To quickly switch to your new tab, tap on the Switch option that appears immediately after you open a new tab.
Switch to Private browsing mode if you don't want Firefox to remember your browsing or search history. Tap the tab icon at the top of your screen, then tap the mask icon.
From here, you can view a list of tabs you've opened in Private browsing mode, or open a new, private tab by tapping the plus icon .
How do I share my tabs?
Firefox Sync lets you share tabs with your other devices.
Retrieving synchronized tabs on your Android device
If you have tabs open on another device, you can access them on your Android device by tapping the number at the top of your screen, and then tapping the Sync icon.
If you have tabs open on another device, access them on your home screen:
- Tap on the address bar to bring up your home screen.
- Scroll to the left until you see the Synced Tabs panel:
- You will see your open tabs on the list grouped by device.
Send a tab from your Android device
If you have a tab open on your Android device, you can use the Send Tab to Devices feature to open that tab on another computer:
- Tap the menu button (either below the screen on some devices or at the top right corner of the browser) and then the share button (you may need to tap first) .
- Choose on the drop down menu.
- Select the devices you want to share the tab with, and then tap
- The tab will load on your other device after it syncs (usually within a minute). If you've sent the tab to a desktop or laptop computer and want the tab to load sooner, go to the menu and choose .
How do I close tabs?
View your tab list and tap next to the tab you want to close.
If you've closed a tab by mistake, don't worry! You can recover that last tab by quickly tapping the Undo option that appears for a short time after you close a tab.
Close all open tabs
To close all your open tabs, tap on the tab list icon, then tap the menu button (either below the screen on some devices or at the top right corner of the browser) , then .
- If the menu button doesn't appear as shown, tap on the hardware menu button on your device instead.
View and reopen previously closed tabs
To see a list of tabs you've recently closed, return to the Awesome Screen (if you're not already on it, tap on the URL bar) and swipe to the right until you see the Recent Tabs panel. From here, you can view and reopen individual tabs or an entire session:
Share this article: http://mzl.la/1BAQSDd