Upgrade your graphics drivers to use hardware acceleration and WebGL
- Revision id: 12002
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: Enhancement from the previous draft
- Reviewed: No
- Ready for localization: No
Firefox and some plugins in full screen use your graphics card to help speed up the display of web content. Graphic cards are also used by advanced web features like WebGL. To address some problems with these features or to take advantage of them, you may need to update your graphics card drivers.Some plugins in full screen use your graphics card to help speed up their content. To address some problems, you may need to update your graphics card drivers. This article describes how to do that.
Table of Contents
How do I know my graphics driver is out-of-date?
If you have no information on your graphics driver, you can get it by following these instructions:
- At the top of the Firefox windowOn the menu bar, click on the menu and select menu, go over to the menu (on Windows XP, click on the menu) . The Troubleshooting Information tab will open.
- Under the Graphics section at the end of the page, check the adapter description, the driver version and date.
If the driver date is older than three months and you don't have a legacy graphics card, you probably have an out-of-date graphics driver.
How can I update my graphics driver?
Use the Windows Update feature
On Windows Vista and above, some recent graphics driver versions are made available as an optional update from the Windows Update feature. If you haven't set Windows to automatically install recommended updates, follow these steps:
- In Windows, click , select , then select . The Windows Update window will open.
- Click the "Check for updates" link and wait until it is done.
- If there are optional updates available, click "n optional updates are available". The View available updates panel will appear.
- Click "Optional" and search updates with your graphics card manufacturer name (see above to get it) in the title.
- If you find some, check the latest one and click to close the View available updates panel.
- Click .
- Restart your computer.
- Start Firefox.
If there are no updates available or if the updates don't solve your problems, your graphics driver version might not be the latest one. Continue to the next section.
Use your computer manufacturer's system update tool
Some computer manufacturers require that you use their system update tool to apply any updates.
Just search for this tool in the Windows menu, and try to apply all available updates.
If there are no update tool, or no updates available, or if the updates don't solve your problems, your graphics driver version might not be the latest one. Continue to the next section.
Use your distribution's standard update process
Use your distribution's standard update process.
If your distribution's standard update process doesn't give you the latest drivers, you may need to look for other package repositories for your distribution.
Get and install the latest generic graphics driver
Get and install the latest generic graphics driver from your graphics card manufacturer's websites:
- Click the Apple.
- On the "Apple" menu, click "Software Update."
- If there is a Mac OS X update available, you can install it. If there is a graphics driver update, it will be included in the Mac OS X update.