- Revision id: 107972
- Creator: AliceWyman
- Comment: Edit to last revision: changes to note, template. DO NOT APPROVE until after Nov 3!
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: jsavage
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: jsavage
Tracking generally refers to the collection of a person’s browsing data across multiple sites. The Tracking Protection feature uses a list provided by Disconnect to identify and block trackers.
A shield icon will appear in your address bar whenever Firefox is blocking tracking domains.
To see which resources are being blocked, you can open the web console and look for messages under the Security tab.
Table of Contents
How to turn Tracking Protection off
Tracking Protection is enabled by default when you're in a Private Browsing window. You may choose to disable Tracking Protection for a particular site or for all sites.
Turn off Tracking Protection for individual sites
- The shield icon will appear when Firefox is actively blocking trackers on a page. Click the shield icon to bring up the Control Center.
- In the Control Center, click
- Once Tracking Protection is disabled, a shield icon with red strikethrough will appear in your address bar.
Since Private Browsing mode doesn’t keep any information about your browsing session, when you disable Tracking Protection for a site, it only lasts for the session. When you start a new Private Browsing session, Tracking Protection will be turned on for all sites.
Turn off Tracking Protection for all sites
- Click the menu button , followed by OptionsPreferences.
- Click Privacy, then uncheck the box next to Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows.
- Close the tab to save your changes.
If you're already in a Private Browsing window, type about:privatebrowsing in the address bar and press the Enter key to go to the Private Browsing home page.Click the link that says Turn Tracking Protection Off. If Tracking Protection is already turned off, you can turn it back on from the Private Browsing home page by clicking the link that says, Turn Tracking Protection On.