The thumbnails on the new tab page are missing - how to get them back
- Revision id: 25295
- Creator: Verdi
- Comment: Added link to new tab page article
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: Verdi
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: Verdi
The Firefox new tab page shows pictures of the sites you visit frequently. Sometimes these get deleted. We'll explain why that happens and how to get them back.
Why do the thumbnails get deleted?
Firefox stores the website thumbnails it displays on the new tab page in a temporary cache on your computer. These files get deleted when:
- You clear the cache
- You update Firefox to the latest version
- The cache becomes full
How to restore the website images on the new tab page
The images will get re-stored as you use the new tab page to go to those websites again.
- Open the new tab page by clicking the button on the tab strip.
- Click on one of the blank images to go to a website.
- This is important - let the website finish loading (wait for the spinning greenblueorange loading icon in the tab to stop).
- Open the new tab page again and you will see a new image for the website you just went to.
- Repeat this process for the rest of the missing images.