This forum is a discussion about improving the "Open Search" article. If you'd like to participate, please register.

If you need help with Firefox, please ask a question.

Google search plugin didn't appear to work, at first.

  • 0 Replies
  • Last reply by jwronski
  1. jwronski 0 posts
    Report Abuse

    I found that the search engines that appear on the search page are the ones that have xml files in the install directory, searchplugins folder. In my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\searchplugins. I further found that after installing the google search plugin, there was a google.xml file in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\quw2jxed.default\extensions\gsearch@standard8.plus.com\searchplugins, but NOT the install dir. After copying (as admin on Win7) google.xml to the install directory (Thunderbird\searchplugins), the google search was enabled. This came after some experimenting, I had initially copied the contents of yahoo.xml into bing.xml and now yahoo was default, but bing had disappeared. And that came BEFORE finding the preferred method.

    I found that the search engines that appear on the search page are the ones that have xml files in the install directory, searchplugins folder. In my case C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\searchplugins. I further found that after installing the google search plugin, there was a google.xml file in C:\Users\joe\AppData\Roaming\Thunderbird\Profiles\quw2jxed.default\extensions\gsearch@standard8.plus.com\searchplugins, but NOT the install dir. After copying (as admin on Win7) google.xml to the install directory (Thunderbird\searchplugins), the google search was enabled. This came after some experimenting, I had initially copied the contents of yahoo.xml into bing.xml and now yahoo was default, but bing had disappeared. And that came BEFORE finding the preferred method.