No sound in Firefox 59 on Linux in some configurations
- Revision id: 158221
- Creator: Joni
- Comment: minor editing and structuring
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: jsavage
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: jsavage
Firefox versions 58 and 59 may be unable to play or record sound on some Linux distributions and desktop environments.
About this issue
If the PulseAudio service, which manages audio hardware, is not already running then Firefox will fail to start it due to sandboxing. Most desktop environments start PulseAudio when you log in and ensure that it remains running, and some newer distributions use
systemd to manage restarting it, but if neither of these applies then this problem can occur.
What you can do
If you are affected, try one of these workarounds:
pulseaudio --start --exit-idle-time=-1from a terminal.
- More advanced: Add that command to a script that's run at login (for example,
.xinitrcif you use
- Use Firefox Beta 60, which has a fix for this bug. Download Firefox Beta here.