New in Thunderbird 9
This article is no longer maintained, so its content might be out of date.
This article describes the major changes in Thunderbird version 9. For a complete list of bugs that have been resolved in the release, refer to the Thunderbird Builds thread on MozillaZine. (This article is based on a late beta version of Thunderbird 9.)
- There are several cosmetic bugs fixes and improvements in the user interface, including a bug with moving indentation levels to the left in nested lists, displaying quotas in the status bar on Windows, and others.
- The compose, message and address book windows now support Personas.
- When importing address book entries from Outlook and Outlook Express, the birthday field is now included.
- Thunderbird can now handle vCard files. When you open a vCard (for example from your desktop or a web page), Thunderbird will ask if you want to add it to your address book.
Keyboard shortcut changes
- When composing a message, the Tab and Ctrl + Tab keys now move through the attachment fields.
- There is a new Mac keyboard shortcut for Get Messages / Get All New Messages: Command + Y / Command + Shift + Y. (F5 still works.)
- Windows users can toggle the display of the menu bar with the Alt key.