New in Thunderbird 8
This article is no longer maintained, so its content might be out of date.
This article describes the major changes in Thunderbird version 8. For a complete list of bugs that have been resolved in the release, refer to the list maintained on The Rumbling Edge blog or the Thunderbird Builds thread on MozillaZine.
This release contains the following changes that will affect users:
- New Search and Find Shortcuts (for a complete list, see the keyboard shortcuts article):
- Find text in current message: + + +
- Search for messages in a folder (search dialog): + + + + + +
- Find again in current message: + or + or + or
- Find previous in current message: + + or + + + or + + + or +
- Move to Search Bar (Global Search): + + +
- Quick Filter Bar: + + + + + +
- The folder pane switcher has been removed from the left panel. To change the view, use | . It can be reinstated as described below. (Note that third-party add-ons and modifications to the Thunderbird source code are not officially supported by Mozilla.)
- The list of attachments associated with an email message has been tidied up and is now more accessible and also responds to standard keyboard navigation.
- Add-ons that are installed by another application will be disabled by default. The user will be given the opportunity to enable them when the original add-on is first run.
Some Windows users have encountered a problem where Thunderbird 8 crashes when they start it. If you encounter this problem, download the Thunderbird installer file again and reinstall it.