How to localize the SUMO interface
Table of Contents
What are UI strings?
Each element of the SUMO site interface that is text, but not the help content itself - all the buttons and navigation links. The text of each such element is a "string".
We currently have two servers for SUMO:
- https://support.mozilla.org - our real server, also known as "prod" (short for "production")
- https://support.allizom.org - out release testing server (this is not a server to test localizations - a broken string will be a broken string both here and on the production server).
The strings you translate are regularly transferred to the testing and production servers, where you can see them in action.
Where can I localize strings?
UI strings for SUMO are localized in a variety of tools:
- Pontoon - the most popular tool - developed and maintained by Mozilla's L10n Team. You can find the documentation that explains how to use Pontoon here.
- Pootle - used by several locales - an updated version of the legacy tool (Verbatim)
How can I localize strings in Pontoon?
Please note that at this moment in time, SUMO is using the Out-of-context method of localization, and not the In-context option that Pontoon offers.
- Register or log in through the main site. If you have a Mozilla LDAP account you can just log in with your LDAP username and password. Otherwise, you'll have to register for an account before you can login.
- Navigate to SUMO strings. To do this, click the leftmost navigation breadcrumb in the top left corner of the page, and type "SUMO". Click the option that appears. In a similar way, choose your locale and the file you want to localize in the following breadcrumbs. Finally, click .
- View missing strings. To do this, click the funnel/filter icon below the navigation breadcrumbs and choose Missing, Fuzzy or Untranslated to display strings that require work. If you want to find a particular string, use the Search box next to the funnel/filter icon and input the text in English.
- Translate the text and make sure you save your work.
How can I review suggestions in Pontoon?
If you are a Reviewer in Pontoon, you will occasionally have to approve strings suggested by others. To do so:
- Log in as described above.
- Navigate to the SUMO project, as described above.
- View suggested strings. To do this, click the funnel/filter icon below the navigation breadcrumbs and choose Suggested or Has Suggestions to display strings that require reviewing. If you want to find a particular string, use the Search box next to the funnel/filter icon and input the text in English.
- To approve an existing suggestion, review the suggestions in the bottom right part of the screen, and approve the best one using the "checkmark" symbol.
Last Update: 2015-12-29