This article explains how to download and install Firefox on Windows using a simplified online installer. (If you need a full, offline installer or custom options, see For advanced users, below.)
- To update Firefox from a previous version, see Update Firefox to the latest release.
Before installing Firefox, see the Firefox System Requirements to make sure that your computer has the required operating system and recommended hardware.
Do not install Firefox using a limited Windows XP account. For more information, see Microsoft's support article How to determine your user account type in Windows.
- Visit this Firefox download page in any browser, such as Microsoft Internet Explorer or Microsoft Edge.
- Click the
- If you use Microsoft Edge or Internet Explorer, a notification bar will appear at the bottom of the page with an option to open or run the Firefox Installer file.
button. The Firefox Installer that downloads will automatically offer you the best available version of Firefox for your computer.
- Click Open file on Microsoft Edge or on Internet Explorer, to start the process.
- In other browsers, you may need to first save the Firefox installer to your computer, then open the file you downloaded.
Note: If you see an Open File - Security Warning dialog, click or .
- The User Account Control dialog may open, to ask you to allow the Firefox Installer to make changes to your computer. If this dialog appears, click
- Wait for Firefox to finish installing.
- When the installation is complete, Firefox will open.
Double-click the Firefox icon that was placed on the desktop whenever you want to go online.
Here are some articles that can help you:
- Make Firefox your default browser
- Firefox won't start - find solutions
- Troubleshoot and diagnose Firefox problems
If you need more help, you can always get community support.
For advanced users
The streamlined Firefox Installer installs a suitable Firefox version for your language and operating system. For example, on 64-bit Windows, it installs the 64-bit version of Firefox (details here). To install Firefox in another language or operating system, or if you need a full, offline installer with custom options, download the Firefox Setup file from this download page. Options available in the full, offline installer are described in the article, Custom installation of Firefox on Windows.