Firefox can't be opened after you install it on a Mac - How to fix
- Revision id: 77023
- Creator: AliceWyman
- Comment: updated summary; added link to intro with install instructions (see discussion)
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: AliceWyman
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: No
When you download and install Firefox on your Mac you may see the error message, Firefox.app can't be opened because the identity of the developer cannot be confirmed when you try to open it.
Apple has made a security change to Mac OS X 10.9.5 which may cause this error and block you from using Firefox. Here are some steps you can take if this happens:
Option 1 - Recommended
- Hold down the Control key while clicking on the Firefox icon.
- Click in the context menu.
- Click in the following dialog window.
Option 2 - Open Firefox through the System Preferences
- Click on the Apple icon at the top left corner of your screen and open .
- Click on , then the tab.
- You'll see a message stating that the Firefox.app was blocked. Click on