Creating a Newsgroup Account
- Revision id: 134780
- Creator: user917725
- Comment: Summary reduction
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: Chris_Ilias
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: Chris_Ilias
Thunderbird can be used to read messages from and write messages to Usenet newsgroups. (These newsgroups are different from general discussion forums or email distribution lists because they transmit messages via the NNTP protocol. For more information, see Wikipedia.)
To configure Thunderbird as your newsgroup reader:
1. Select File > New > Other Accounts...
2. Select Newsgroup Account and click.
3. Enter your name and email account. When you send a message to a newsgroup, these values will be used to identify the source of the message.
4. Enter the address of the newsgroup server that you are subscribing to, for example "news.mozilla.org".
5. Enter a name for the account.
Once you have configured a newsgroup server, right-click the account name and select Subscribe... to specify the groups that you want to join.
To modify other account settings, right-click the account name and select Settings.... You can customize various settings, such as the frequency and amount of downloaded messages, composition options, etc.