Changes to toolbars and window sizes are not saved
- Revision id: 27227
- Creator: Verdi
- Comment: New 160 character search summary
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: Verdi
- Is approved? Yes
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: Yes
- Readied for localization:
- Readied for localization by: Verdi
In some instances, Firefox may not remember changes you've made to your toolbar settings or certain other configuration changes.
This article explains how to fix the underlying problem that may result in one or more of the following symptoms:
- Changes that you made to your toolbars are not saved when you restart Firefox.
- Changes made to the browser window's size and position are not remembered when you restart Firefox.
- You cannot save new bookmarks.
The above symptoms are usually caused by a corrupted file in your Firefox user data, called localstore.rdf. This file is maintained by Firefox to manage some of your configuration settings.
Another possible cause is a misbehaving Firefox extension.
Fixing the problem
- Click the menu button
, click help
and select Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.holding down the option key while starting Firefox.quitting Firefox and then going to your Terminal and running:
You may need to specify the Firefox installation path (e.g. /usr/lib/firefox) . Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.
- In the Firefox Safe Mode dialog, select Reset toolbars and controls and click
You should now be able to customize your toolbar settings and controls, change the browser window size or position, and save new bookmarks, and those changes will be remembered when you restart Firefox.
If the previous solution did not help, you can temporarily disable all extensions and then restart Firefox. If the symptoms go away then one of your extensions was causing the problem. For more information, read Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems.
Based on information from Corrupt localstore.rdf (mozillaZine KB)