Change your default search settings in Firefox
The Search panel in the Firefox OptionsPreferences page lets you customize your search options. To open the Search panel, click the menu button , choose and select in the left pane. From here, you can add or remove search engines, change your default search engine, turn the Search bar on or off and choose whether or not to display search suggestionswhether to display search suggestions first or not at all.
Table of Contents
Default search engine
- Click the menu button and choose . .
- Choose a search engine from the drop down menu under Default Search Engine.
Provide search suggestions
As you type into the Search bar or the address bar, your default search engine shows you suggestions based on popular searches or on your previous searches. See Search suggestions in Firefox for more information.
- To turn search suggestions on or off, add or remove the check mark next to Provide search suggestions.
- Show search suggestions in locationaddress bar results. When search suggestions are turned on, select this setting to also include search suggestions in the results that are listed when you search from the Firefox address bar.
- To show search suggestions before your browsing history, add a check mark next to Show search suggestions ahead of browsing history in address bar results.
One-click search engines
You can choose an alternate search engine and use it for your search with one click, if you don't want to use the current default.
To remove alternate search engines you don't want to be displayed in the Search bar, remove the check mark next to the search engine listed in the Search panel. This will not remove the search engines themselves.
Remove search engines
To remove a search engine, follow these steps:
- Click on the search engine you don't want to highlight it.
- Click the button to take it off your list.
If you remove a search engine that you added yourself and you change your mind, you'll have to add it back again (see below). If you remove any of the search engines that come with Firefox by default, click to bring them back.
Add more search engines
Many providers also offer add-ons that let you add even more search engines:
- Click Add more search engines.
- Hover over the add-ons you want to add and click .
See Add or remove a search engine in Firefox to learn more about adding search engines.