Bookmarks in Firefox
Bookmarks (called favorites in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer) are links to web pages that make it easy to get back to your favorite places. This article covers the basics of making and managing Firefox bookmarks.
Table of Contents
How do I bookmark a page?
To bookmark a page, just click on the star in the address bar.
The star will turn blue when the page is bookmarked and a window will pop up so you can name, move or tag your bookmark.
Right-clickHold down the control key while you click on the menu entry for and then click on .
To bookmark all open tabs at once: Select
from the Bookmarks menu.Right-click on any of the tabs and select from the context menu.Right-click on any of the tabs, choose from the context menu, then right-click on any tab and select . Give the new bookmarks folder a name and choose which folder to store it in. Click to finish.
- You can also use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Dcommand + Shift + D to bookmark all open tabs.
How do I change the name or location of a bookmark?
- To edit the details of your bookmark, click the star a second time to open the Edit This Bookmark dialog box.
- In the Edit This Bookmark box you can change any of these details:
- Name: This is the name that Firefox displays for the bookmark in menus.
- Folder: Choose what folder to store your bookmark in by picking one from the drop-down menu (for example, the Bookmarks Menu or Bookmarks Toolbar). In that drop-down menu you can also select to display a list of all bookmarks folders.
- Tags: You can use tags to help you search through and organize your bookmarks. For more information, see Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find.
- When you are finished editing, click to close the box.
If you don't want to see this editor when saving a bookmark, remove the checkmark from Show editor when saving.
How do I find my bookmarks?
To find a page that you've bookmarked, just start typing its name in the address bar. As you type, a list of web pages that you've bookmarked, tagged and visited will appear. Bookmarked pages will have a star next to them. Simply click one of the pages and you'll be taken there instantly. To learn more, see Awesome Bar - Search your Firefox bookmarks, history and tabs from the address bar.
How do I organize my bookmarks?
The Library window lets you view and organize all of your bookmarks. To open the Bookmarks Library window:
Click the Library button , then click . Scroll to the bottom and click .Click the Bookmarks button and select to open the Library window.
By default, the bookmarks you make will be located in the Other Bookmarks folder. Select it in the sidebar of the Library window to see the bookmarks you've made. Double-clicking a bookmark will open it.
See these articles for details on how to manage a giant list of bookmarks:
- Sort your bookmarks to quickly find the ones you want
- Use bookmark folders to organize your bookmarks
- How do I delete a bookmark?
While you are in the Library window you can drag bookmarks into other folders, such as the Bookmarks Menu folder. Those bookmarks will then appear in the Firefox Sidebar and Menu bar or toolbar Bookmarks menu. Bookmarks in the Bookmarks Toolbar folder will appear in the Bookmarks Toolbar, if it's turned on.
How do I add the Bookmarks Menu button to the toolbar?
The Bookmarks Menu button is not shown by default but you can add it to the toolbar using the Library button:
- Click the Library button , then click .
- Click .
- Click .
The Bookmarks Menu button should appear next to the Library button.
To remove the button, repeat the steps above and, after clicking, click .
How do I turn on the Bookmarks Toolbar?
The Bookmarks Toolbar is a handy place to add your favorite bookmarks. If you want to use the Bookmarks Toolbar, you can turn it on like this:
- Click the menu button and choose .
- Click the dropdown menu at the bottom of the screen and select .
- Click the button when you're finished.
- Click the menu at the top of the screen, go down to and select .
Other tips and tricks
Here are more articles to help you get the most out of your bookmarks:
- Bookmark Tags - Categorize bookmarks to make them easy to find
- Share bookmarks, tabs and more with another computer or mobile device: see How do I set up Sync on my computer?
- Switching between different browsers? These article will help you take your bookmarks with you:
Last Update: 2018-12-20