Add-ons that cause stability or security issues are put on a blocklist
- Revision id: 10411
- Creator: scoobidiver
- Comment: incompatible add-on adding, automatic add-ons updates for fx4, difference of behavior between fx35 and fx4, summary and keywords adding.
- Reviewed: Yes
- Reviewed by: scoobidiver
- Is approved? No
- Is current revision? No
- Ready for localization: No
Add-ons (extensions, themes, and plugins) that are known to cause stability or security issues with Firefox or are incompatible are put on a "blocklist."
Table of Contents
- 1 What does the blocklist do?
- 2 Steps to take
- 3 What unsafe add-ons are on the blocklist?
What does the blocklist do?
Disables unsafe add-ons
Firefox will block the unsafe add-on from loading and present you at startup with the following message:
To prevent these add-ons from running, click .
Blocks unsafe add-ons from being installed
When you try to install an unsafe add-on that is on the blocklist, Firefox will block the installation and display the message:
Disables incompatible add-ons
Firefox will block the incompatible add-on from loading. In the Add-ons window,In the Add-ons manager tab, below the add-on, you've got the following message:
Blocks incompatible add-ons from being installed
In the Mozilla add-ons website, incompatible add-ons show up with a white button. If you click on the button, you will be prompted with the following message:
You can choose to ignore this message and click on thebutton. When the download is complete, you will be prompted with the following message:
Steps to take
If the installed add-on is disabled
Extension or theme
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the button ( menu in Windows XP), and then click On the menu bar, click on the menu, and then click At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons Manager tab will open. menu, and then click
- On the "Tools for all add-ons" menu, make sure that the menu is checked.
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the menu, and select On the menu bar, click on the menu, and select At the top of the Firefox window, click on the . The Add-ons window will open. menu, and select
- Select the or panel depending on the kind of add-on.
- Then click . If Firefox finds an update, you will be prompted to install it and restart Firefox.
To check if any of your installed plugins are out of date, visit Mozilla's Plugin Check & Updates page.
If you were blocked from installing an add-on, check to see if there is an updated version of the add-on you were trying to install.