Updated versions of Firefox won't start
Currently running FF 3.6.24, Windows 7 operating system.
Every time I try to update firefox to a more recent version, they won't start. I can download the update installation file just fine, the installation process itself works perfectly, but afterwards when I try to start up firefox itself nothing happens. The browser window doesn't open, a tab doesn't show up on the taskbar, the only indication that the program even exists as anything outside the shortcut icon and program folders is that "firefox.exe" shows up in the processes tab of the Task Manager.
I've try restarting my computer after updating. I've tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling the newer versions. Nothing works.
I get by comfortably with 3.6.24, but just the fact that I'm completely unable to use anything more recent is troubling. I would appreciate some help in at least understanding what's going on with this.
Geändert am von Dakkan-Sall
Mehr Details zum System
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 10.1.1
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in Web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Default Plug-in
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Shockwave Flash 11.1 r102
- iTunes Detector Plug-in
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 1.6.0_30 for Mozilla browsers
- Office Authorization plug-in for NPAPI browsers
- The plug-in allows you to open and edit files using Microsoft Office applications
- Google Update
- User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-US; rv:126.96.36.199) Gecko/20111103 Firefox/3.6.24 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
Open Containing Folder
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
(.NET CLR 3.5.30729)
The update process did not work or you would not still have firefox 3.6.24
Try updating again, and I would suggest you do so by going to getfirefox.com and see also
I don't still have 3.6.24 (well, .25 now. that works, but nothing like the latest, 9.0.1, does) when I try to update. I just reinstall the older version when the new one ends up not working.
I've already looked through the "Installing Firefox..." and "Software Update Failed" pages, and tried the suggestions, but as of yet they haven't worked.
I have firefox 9 installed on Windows 7 and did not encounter any problems. I am not aware of any known issues with installing Firefox 9 on Windows 7
The usual problems tend to be security software blocking the install, or trying to use a limited account. Other than what is written in the two linked articles I can not think of any further advice I am able to offer.
I had the same issue, too. The cause was a program called ESSO (Enterprise Single Sign On) that ran in my systray. Once i stopped ESSO, FF 9.0.1 ran just fine! Starting ESSO again prevented FF from starting. I think it's worthwile stopping some of the utilities that we all have running on Windows and try if one of these stops FF.
More general advice is in the articles
- Firefox won't start - find solutions
- Firefox does not work - Common fixes to get you back up and running
I note ESSO and related software has previously caused problems with Firefox eg /questions/880625. Also as by definition such software is used in an Enterprise situation it may be worth in an enterprise considering using firefox ESR.
As a general point if you have a specific problem it is best to start a new thread providing full details of your own set-up and problems follow the links and prompts from /questions/new