restore preferences after a reinstalation of mac OS using a bacup on time machine
Hi, restore preferences after a reinstalation of mac OS using a bacup on time machine. Tks
Alle Antworten (3)
How did you do your reinstallation -- according to How to download and install Firefox on Mac?
In a fresh installation (with Firefox.app in the Applications folder), Firefox usually will find old data files automatically. Were those deleted?
Hi, I'm on macOS and I've done a few migrations to new machines. The best method restoring data is to simply log into your Firefox account and let Firefox sync your data.
If you don't use sync, your Time Machine backup will have your data. It's in your /Users/<yourmacOSusername>/Library/Application Support/Firefox/ directory.
For more information, see Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles
Note that in Mac OS X v10.7 and later, the "~/Library" folder in the Home directory is a hidden folder.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder.
You can use the button on the "Help -> More Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> More Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)