bookmarks, passwords, and add-ons gone
Hello. I have purchased a new computer and cannot sync my Firefox account with it. The old computer is not working and I had forgotten my Firefox password, so I reset it through the "reset your password" email firefox sent me. After logging in , there is no history of bookmarks, passwords, or add-ons with my account. Does anyone know how i can recover this data?
Alle Antworten (4)
Oh no, resetting your Firefox Account password zaps all the data on the server.
Is it possible to recover any data from the drive in the old computer? If it can be read, for example, as an external drive using a USB connector/caddy/enclosure, then we could describe how to get the files.
Thank you for replying. I tried answering your question through my standard email but i guess i had to log into firefox.
I just fixed the problem with the old PC and bought a thumb drive. I did not try to login to my FireFox account on the old pc. I believe I'm ready to follow your directions on retrieving files. Thanks for helping me with this.
You can copy certain files with Firefox closed to the current profile folder to transfer or recover personal data. Note that best is to avoid copying a full profile folder. Note that you should be cautious with copying SQLite database files if you previously had problems.
- bookmarks and history: places.sqlite
- favicons: favicons.sqlite
- bookmark backups: compressed .jsonlz4 JSON backups in the bookmarkbackups folder
- cookies.sqlite for the Cookies
- formhistory.sqlite for saved autocomplete Form Data
- logins.json (encrypted logins;32+) and key4.db (decryption key;58+) for Passwords saved in the Password Manager
key3.db support ended in 73+; to use key3.db in 58-72, make sure to remove key4.db
- cert9.db (58+) for (intermediate) certificates stored in the Certificate Manager
- persdict.dat for words added to the spell checker dictionary
- permissions.sqlite for Permissions and possibly content-prefs.sqlite for other website specific data (Site Preferences)
- sessionstore.jsonlz4 for open tabs and pinned tabs (see also the sessionstore-backups folder)
You can use the button on the "Help -> Troubleshooting Information" (about:support) page to go to the current Firefox profile folder or use the about:profiles page.
- Help -> Troubleshooting Information -> Profile Folder/Directory:
Windows: Open Folder; Linux: Open Directory; Mac: Show in Finder
Location used for the main profile that keeps your personal data (Root Directory on about:profiles).
Okay, I've transferred all those files form the old PC to the thumb drive. Do I now drag those files onto the new PC at C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<profile> ? I'm 1/2 (maybe 3/4) idiot with this stuff so don't judge :)