A particular site blocks port 443 access using version 60+ but not using version 59
If I use FF version 63 (64 bit) the particular site server blocks blocks access. If I use FF version 59 (32 bit) I can get access. I have used the site before (Q4 2018) for shopping. Is this a 32/64 bit problem or a version problem? Suggestions how to fix please.
Mehr Details zum System
- Shockwave Flash 32.0 r0
- User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:63.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/63.0
Port 443 is the standard port for HTTPS connections. What is the message or error page that you get?
Thanks for the quick reply.
FF V 59, 32 bit, I.E and Edge all connect correctly to https web site. FF V 63.0.3, 64bit fails to connect to the same URL with the message "Forbidden You don't have permission to access / on this server. IBM_HTTP_Server at www.halfords.com Port 443" Both FF versions are using the same profile.
Possibly a setting or extension in the profile behaves differently in newer versions. Could you try:
New Profile Test
This takes about 3 minutes, plus the time to test your problem site(s).
Inside Firefox, type or paste about:profiles in the address bar and press Enter/Return to load it.
Click the "Create a New Profile" button, then click Next. Assign a name like July2019, ignore the option to relocate the profile folder, and click the Finish button.
After creating the profile, scroll down to it and click the Launch profile in new browser button.
Firefox should open a new window that looks like a brand new, uncustomized installation. (Your existing Firefox window(s) should not be affected.) Please ignore any tabs enticing you to connect to a Sync account or to activate extensions found on your system so we can get a clean test.
Do the store site open in the new profile?
When you are done with the experiment, you can close the extra window without affecting your regular Firefox profile. (July2019 will remain available for future testing.)
Still the same effect, blocked access. I even tried "Safe Mode" in case there was and add-in causing it, though I would have thought that, since it is the same profile for the 32 bit, then the add-in would react the same. As other browsers do not have the problem it looks more like a bug in FF 63.0.3 64 bit.
There aren't going to be any changes for Firefox 63 because the current version is Firefox 68.
Thanks for your suggestions and help. I had deliberately stopped updating because of the seemingly loss of functions in later versions. Thinking back, it was even more recent that I had used that site. Your suggestions gave me a hint that possibly the installation had somehow been corrupted (since everything else was common). I re-installed the 64 bit version and the problem is fixed, confirming the suspicion.