Unknown Syncing Error
I have been having some problems for the past few months now, which started approximately mid April, but they were largely minor and I did not mind them, but now they have tried my patience for too long. My Firefox does not seem to be syncing correctly, and the error it gives is an unknown error.
These may be minor, but other problems have coincided with this error prompt. For hyperlinks, they are not remembered but links clicked from long ago are remembered and still appear purple, while un-clicked links appear blue, as well as links that are clicked now. Many preferences are not saved, and I cannot create new bookmarks, or edit pre-existing ones, either by duplication, changing their names, or changing their locations. Futhermore, there is no way to access the "organize" function within the bookmark menu. I am not completely certain if these are all related, but i believe the bookmakrs and preferences to definitely be related to this syncing problem, with the hyperlink problem still a mystery.
Attempting to re-sync just causes a sync error to reappear within a second, without change. I have followed some instruction from past questions, such as refreshing or conducting a clean reinstall, but nothing so far has fixed this problem. Indeed, even a fresh reinstall still remembers my old sync destination, but cannot allow changes to be made, so I cannot truly start "fresh". I have the sync error log for the most recent sync attempt, gained via about:sync-log, which can be found here: https://pastebin.mozilla.org/8836344
Thank you for assistance in this matter.
Mehr Details zum System
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.11
- Google Update
- Intel web components for Intel® Identity Protection Technology
- Intel web components updater - Installs and updates the Intel web components
- NPRuntime Script Plug-in Library for Java(TM) Deploy
- Next Generation Java Plug-in 11.31.2 for Mozilla browsers
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Sony Reader Application Detector Plugin
- Shockwave Flash 17.0 r0
- User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
Hello, I tried to break down each issue that you asked about:
For the hyperlinks color, first try to clear your cache: Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:
- Click the menu button , choose History, and then "Clear Recent History...".
- Under "Time range to clear", select "Everything".
- Now, click the arrow next to Details to toggle the Details list active.
- From the details list, check Cache and Cookies and uncheck everything else.
- Now click the "Clear Now" button.
Further information can be found in the Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox article.
For Many preferences are not saved, and I cannot create new bookmarks, or edit pre-existing ones, either by duplication, changing their names, or changing their locations. Futhermore, there is no way to access the "organize" function within the bookmark menu
Temporarily uncheck syncing bookmarks in your sync profile. Does the functionality come back? If not, make a back up of your bookmarks: Export Firefox bookmarks to an HTML file to back up or transfer bookmarks Next, make sure that there are no corrupt portions of your history/bookmarks file in your profile: Places Maintenance add on
Recheck the bookmarks after fixing the places file, does this still happen? If so, you may need to start over in sync, it is possible that if bookmarks were corrupt that the minor corruption may have synced to the merged profile in the cloud. To fix this:
- Unattach each device from the sync account (do not change any local profile on any of the devices except make a back up)
- Delete the account
- Repair each of the profiles with places maintenance
- Use the same email and sign up for Sync again
- Attach each account
(If the error happens again we know that there is something else going on, but this should fix the functionality, if it does not also see in any of the profile folders if there is a "parent.lock" or a lock file. Turn off Firefox and remove this file. Then restart Firefox)
Last resort for getting functionality back, just refresh Firefox and Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles
The unknown sync error in isolation is normally resolved by detaching the account from the profile and adding it back by logging in from accounts.firefox.com.
To check more details in the sync error:
- How do I turn on sync logs:
- Open about:config and turn on: services.sync.log.appender.file.logOnSuccess and services.sync.log.logger.engine.bookmarks
- Restart Firefox and look at: about:sync-log
- Logs and error messages will be located here
Please also use pastebin.mozilla.org for sharring any errors that relate to this issue.