Hello! I've upgraded my PC to Mint 20.1 and applied the latest upgrade to Firefox 87 also. Prior to these last upgrades I could use Firefox, ie after upgrade to Mint 20.… (læs mere)
I've upgraded my PC to Mint 20.1 and applied the latest upgrade to Firefox 87 also. Prior to these last upgrades I could use Firefox, ie after upgrade to Mint 20.1 Firefox worked then, after applying the latest upgrades in the Mint Upgrade Manager, including a Firefox one, it did not.
Now Firefox will not open any pages anywhere. This includes the about:preferences page (thus obviating almost all advice I've seen) and even a local two-line "Hello world" HTML page in my local Documents directory.
Nothing displays at all, not even an address in the address bar (unless I type one in but that makes no difference). See the attached, unexciting, screenshot. Things I've tried already:
- Refreshing Firefox
- Restarting with add-ins disabled
- Clearing the cache
- Copying over a profile into the .Mozilla folder from a version that worked before the upgrade
- Deleting and reinstalling from scratch
- Trying the first four items again on the fresh reinstall
- Installing V85 (which works on my laptop)
- Trying the first four items yet again on V85
- Installing V84, which was the version prior to the upgrade on my PC
- Going back to V87 fresh then re-starting Linux in safe mode and trying again
- Looking at the traffic in Wireshark (didn't really help, that one)
- Shouting at the screen (was even less helpful than Wireshark)
In no case is there any change in behaviour. The only thing that will display is the "troubleshooting" page and I attach here the text from that.
Am I the only person to have experienced this lately? Similar reports for much older versions exists but they're mostly for Windows so no use to me.
So -- can anyone suggest anything? Bear in mind I can't get to any about: pages nor do any web developer options work.
All the best