Restore Previous Session not working in version 69.0.2.
Is there "any setting" or settings that would cause that? I have Restore Previous Session checked since day one. OS Win 8.1 tnx
Open H264 Video Codec Widevine Content Decryption module by google
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:69.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/69.0
Hi Magnogreato, do you mean the automatic restore (first checkbox on the Options page) is not working, or manual restore is not available/not working?
If Restore Previous Session is not available on either --
- "3-bar" menu button > Restore Previous Session
- (menu bar) History > Restore Previous Session
-- that usually indicates that Firefox either already restored the session or it didn't find a file it could restore.
To see whether Firefox already restored a session and there is a closed window you could re-open, check for this menu:
- "3-bar" menu button > Library > History > Recently Closed Windows
- "Library" toolbar button > History > Recently Closed Windows
- (menu bar) History > Recently Closed Windows
or try the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+n to restore the last closed window. Can you get back any closed windows that way?
Could you pause to make a backup of your existing session history files? Here's how:
Do not exit Firefox, or if you closed it, don't re-open it.
(1) To open your profile folder...
If Firefox is still running:
You can open your current Firefox settings (AKA Firefox profile) folder using either
- "3-bar" menu button > "?" Help > Troubleshooting Information
- (menu bar) Help > Troubleshooting Information
- type or paste about:support in the address bar and press Enter
In the first table on the page, click the "Open Folder" (or "Show in Finder") button.
If Firefox is closed:
Type or paste the following into the Windows Run dialog or the system search box and press Enter to launch Windows Explorer:
In that folder, do you see a semi-randomly-named folder? If so, click into it. If you find multiple such folders, find the one that was most recently updated.
(2) Copy out session history files
In your profile folder, double-click into the sessionstore-backups folder. Save all files here to a safe location such as your Documents folder.
(3) What files did you find?
The kinds of files you may find among your sessionstore files are:
- recovery.jsonlz4: the windows and tabs in your currently live Firefox session (or, if Firefox crashed at the last shutdown and is still closed, your last session)
- recovery.baklz4: a backup copy of recovery.jsonlz4
- previous.jsonlz4: the windows and tabs in your last Firefox session
- upgrade.jsonlz4-build_id: the windows and tabs in the Firefox session that was live at the time of your last update
- possibly some .js files from Firefox 55 or earlier
Could you take a look at what you have and the date/time of the various files to see whether Firefox seems to still be saving session history?
(To preview the contents of a file, you can drag and drop it onto this page, then click Scrounge URLs: https://www.jeffersonscher.com/ffu/scrounger.html )