The address bar keeps changing what I type
When I try to type in the address bar to go to a website it automatically changes letters to try to guess what website I want to go to.
For example if I try to type in
then I will get
I understand I don't need to type in http but lots of websites I have to go to are https which requires it to be typed in. This error now means I have to type the URL onto another form somewhere and then copy and paste and it's incredibly tedious and annoying. It's a stupid problem to have and I would like to know how to get rid of it.
I've tried deleting the history/cookies and it doesn't work.
- Shockwave Flash 14.0 r0
- Adobe PDF Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape 11.0.07
- IE Tab 2 Plug-in for Mozilla/Firefox
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:11.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/11.0
Do you see this item if you start typing fttp?
Use these steps to remove saved (form) data from a drop-down list:
- click the (empty) input field on the web page to open the drop-down list
- highlight an entry in the drop-down list with the mouse or cursor Down key
do not click the mouse or press the Enter key
- press the Delete key (on Mac: Shift+Delete) to delete the highlighted entry
Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem.
- Switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance
- Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window
Do a malware check with several malware scanning programs on the Windows computer. Please scan with all programs because each program detects different malware. All these programs have free versions.
Make sure that you update each program to get the latest version of their databases before doing a scan.
- Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:
- Microsoft Safety Scanner:
- Windows Defender:
- Spybot Search & Destroy:
- Kasperky Free Security Scan:
You can also do a check for a rootkit infection with TDSSKiller.
- Anti-rootkit utility TDSSKiller: