How can I get Firefox to close down when it refuses to do so whatever I do unless I shhutdown and restart the computer?
I have Windows 8.1 and, recently installed, Firefox which will not close down. I have tried everything I can think of, including 'ending the task in Task manager' but even when it is no longer visible in Task Manager I still get the error report in some programs that I must 'close Firefox first' before they will run.
I have to destroy whatever traces of Firefox I can find, and then shut down and restart the computer. I have installed a fresh copy of Firefox which behaves in the same way. I am going to use an alternative browser now, until I can be sure that this issue has been resolved.
- Foxit Reader Plug-In For Firefox and Netscape
- The plugin allows you to have a better experience with Microsoft SharePoint
- Picasa plugin
- VLC media player Web Plugin
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; rv:37.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/37.0
The Refresh feature (called "Reset" in older Firefox versions) can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your bookmarks, history, passwords, cookies, and other essential information.
Note: When you use this feature, you will lose any extensions, toolbar customizations, and some preferences. See the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article for more information.
To Refresh Firefox:
- Open the Troubleshooting Information page using one of these methods:
- Click the menu button , click help and select Troubleshooting Information. A new tab containing your troubleshooting information should open.
- If you're unable to access the Help menu, type about:support in your address bar to bring up the Troubleshooting Information page.
- At the top right corner of the page, you should see a button that says "Refresh Firefox" ("Reset Firefox" in older Firefox versions). Click on it.
- Firefox will close. After the refresh process is completed, Firefox will show a window with the information that is imported.
- Click Finish and Firefox will reopen.
Did this fix the problem? Please report back to us!