Replace Bookmarks with Safai bookmarks
I want to completely replace the existing Firefox (15.01) bookmarks with those from Safari (7.13). I exporten them from safari in HTML format, but Firefox doesn't allow me to restore from the file.
How do I do this?
I think you can delete the existing bookmarks in bulk using the Library dialog ("Show All Bookmarks"). In the left column, select Bookmarks Menu, then on the right, select all and either right-click > Delete or press the Delete key on the keyboard.Læs dette svar i sammenhæng 0
- Shockwave Flash 16.0 r0
- Microsoft Office for Mac SharePoint Browser Plug-in
- The QuickTime Plugin allows you to view a wide variety of multimedia content in web pages. For more information, visit the QuickTime Web site.
- Provides information about the default web browser
- Plugin that detects installed Citrix Online products (visit www.citrixonline.com).
- The Flip4Mac WMV Plugin allows you to view Windows Media content using QuickTime.
- User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.9; rv:15.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/15.0.1
Hi Greg, in the Library dialog you have a choice of Restore and Import. For HTML format files, you would use Import. See: Import Bookmarks from an HTML file.
In past threads there were some issues with Safari HTML bookmark files: some versions of Safari insert extra tags that Firefox cannot process so these files need to be hand edited in a text editor to remove those tags before they can be imported successfully.
From a past thread:
The main thing is to get rid of these two lines in the file:
<DT><H3 FOLDED>Bookmarks Bar</H3>
<DT><H3 FOLDED>Bookmarks Menu</H3>
The first one appears near the top between
Not sure how far down the other one is, but I'm sure you'll be able to find it. These <DT> elements being outside of a <DL> appear to prevent importing.
Note: This would be a change to the original exported file, with no other edits.
This gets me part way; I still need to delete all the existing bookmarks so that the Firefox set is identical to the Safari set. That's why I wanted to do a restore. Can I:
1. Just delete or rename the Firefox bookmarks folder before the import? 2. Must I edit the combined bookmarks after importing the Safari ones?
I think you can delete the existing bookmarks in bulk using the Library dialog ("Show All Bookmarks"). In the left column, select Bookmarks Menu, then on the right, select all and either right-click > Delete or press the Delete key on the keyboard.
Safari and Firefox have worked out their differences concerning importing / exporting. I was able to just do "Import from other browser" in Firefox, and it worked as expected.
I just had to go through and delete the unwanted folders and bookmarks, and organize the ones that were imported as desired. A bit tedious, but successful.
Thanks for your assistance.