Search Support

Avoid support scams. We will never ask you to call or text a phone number or share personal information. Please report suspicious activity using the “Report Abuse” option.

Learn More

Gmail OAuth fails

  • 2 replies
  • 0 have this problem
  • 1 view
  • Last reply by larry9850

more options

I've had the same setup of my gmail accounts for years in Thunderbird, but today one of them stopped working.

Whenever I try to get or send mail, I get the pop-up OAuth window for logging into Google. I do so successfully and select "allow" to give access to Thunderbird. But then, back in Thunderbird, I see "Host contacted, sending login information..." and it never finishes. Eventually (many minutes) it times out. I have tried dozens of times with the same result.

I have a second gmail account configured in the same instance of Thunderbird, with exactly the same settings. It continues to work fine, and does not display the OAuth pop-up when I get/send mail. This makes me think that the problem has something to do with my Google account rather than with my Thunderbird settings, but I have not changed anything there either.

Both accounts are configured for pop3 (pop.gmail.com:995), security SSL/TLS, authentication OAuth2. Thunderbird is set to accept all cookies and keep until expired. I deleted all saved passwords for the failing account, but Thunderbird still has the password for the account that is working.

I've already wasted many hours on this. I have read and tried all suggestions that I can find online. Please help!

I've had the same setup of my gmail accounts for years in Thunderbird, but today one of them stopped working. Whenever I try to get or send mail, I get the pop-up OAuth window for logging into Google. I do so successfully and select "allow" to give access to Thunderbird. But then, back in Thunderbird, I see "Host contacted, sending login information..." and it never finishes. Eventually (many minutes) it times out. I have tried dozens of times with the same result. I have a second gmail account configured in the same instance of Thunderbird, with exactly the same settings. It continues to work fine, and does not display the OAuth pop-up when I get/send mail. This makes me think that the problem has something to do with my Google account rather than with my Thunderbird settings, but I have not changed anything there either. Both accounts are configured for pop3 (pop.gmail.com:995), security SSL/TLS, authentication OAuth2. Thunderbird is set to accept all cookies and keep until expired. I deleted all saved passwords for the failing account, but Thunderbird still has the password for the account that is working. I've already wasted many hours on this. I have read and tried all suggestions that I can find online. Please help!

All Replies (2)

more options

Try removing the account then add it afresh. If your messages are not left on the server, then DO NOT delete message data when removing the account.

more options

Stans,

I had already tried that, as I should have said in my original post. Creating the new account failed in the same way -- I allowed access for Thunderbird through OAuth, but it didn't actually get access. I had not removed the failing account as you suggested, but I don't think that would have helped.

Of course, the new Thunderbird account would have been connected to the same gmail account. I think this is further evidence that the problem is on the gmail side, not the Thunderbird side. But I think I'm more likely to find competent help in the Mozilla community than via Google!

--Larry